My friend asked me to make a base for his catapult model in 1/72 scale.
I started from this:
- MDF board
- Kromlech rocks (even better than real rocks :P )
- small tree made from copper wire
With Acrylic putty I covered whole base (without rocks) including tree to make bark. I left two small grooves as made from catapult wheels.
When dried with PVA glue add small gravel and sand.
- Vallejo grey primer for whole, and them:
- Vallejo Medium Brown for ground
- Vallejo Black for tree bark
- Sombre Grey
- Cold Grey
- Stonewall Grey
- As finish drybrush with White
I used Woodland Scenics turfs because they are quick and great for 1/72 scale as a grass and small undergrow.
So for ground:
- Burned grass turf
- Burned grass coarse turf
- Grass Green Blend turf
- Medium Green bushes
With Hob-E-Tac I glued Light Green Foliage
For final touch I add withered roots.
Finished base looks this: